Kreindler Partner settles a medical malpractice wrongful death case involving an overdose of lactulose.

In September of 2003, the patient, a minor with GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease) and failure to thrive (FTT) underwent a lactose breath test in his pediatrician's office. The doctor and staff were questioned numerous times about the correct dose as lactulose is not used for children. Despite these inquiries, the young patient received over ten times the recommended dosage for the testing performed. Within minutes he was violently ill and had to be immediately transferred to a hospital. Despite their best efforts, he continued to vomit, became metabolically unstable, developed seizures, and multiple cerebellar hemorrhages. Finally, he was declared brain dead at the age of 9.

The case was filed in Western Massachusetts.